‘The landscape of the Human face’ – Street Portrait Photography Workshop
with GMB Akash
Dates: 28th October (Friday) and 29th October (Saturday) 2016
Place: First Light Campus, Dhaka
Duration: Two days
Fees: 4000 BDT (For Bangladeshi students)
Teaching language: Bengali & English
Workshop hours: 9 AM to 7 PM
To apply email to akashimages@gmail or to make any queries call 01989052484
About the workshop:
There’s nothing more interesting than the landscape of the human face. In this workshop participants will create portraits of the soul. Each of the daily lectures is structured for the next field visit on the programme, allowing each lecture topic and field experience to build upon the next. Creating great portrait photography is all about building a relationship with your subject, working with light, understanding your camera and composing a good looking photo. By joining this course you will learn techniques to do all of these things, and more.
What you will gain from this workshop:
- How to conquer your fear of approaching people for street portraits
- How to use fundamental street portrait techniques to take more engaging photos
- How to react to people who get offended
- How to choose the right people who are both interesting and more agreeable to having their photo taken
- How to capture more candid street portraits of people without disturbing the scene or eliciting reactions
- Which is the best technical settings to use on your camera
- A greater ability to work quickly and decisively with your camera.
- Increased confidence in your skills as a photographer.
- Effectiveness in establishing rapport with subjects.
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience with editing and sequencing your work to create a powerful visual narrative of your subject.
- Certificate after the completion of the workshop
What you will need:
-Digital camera and just one or two lenses (for example – 24mm, 28mm 35mm, 50mm or a zoom covering a part of this range). Emphasis will be placed on going light and simple and moving yourself to get the photo.
– The workshop is limited to an intimate class of 25 passionate individuals who want to take their street portraiture to new heights. Therefore interested participants are requested to email email@example.com or call 01989052484
– The BDT 4000 fee do not include transport, accommodation, food nor on-the-ground expenses. Participants will be given only evening tiffin from school.
– In order to confirm your application/seat, 3000 taka advance payment is a must; participant has to do BKASH (Money Transfer) according to Administration’s instruction
– If accepted, the participant will receive a course contract confirming the success of his/her application by email.
– To confirm registration, the participant must report, within three days, with the advance deposit payment of the workshop.
– The rest of the fee must be paid by the first day of the workshop at the latest. The participant will then receive a complete receipt and ID card.
– Registration is open from 27th September – 20th October 2016. Please note that registration will get close as soon as all seats will fill up
– If a participant decides to cancel for whatever reason after payment the registration fees will not be refunded as there are limited seats. Participants are requested to consider all incidents before enrolling.
How to apply:
If you would like to secure your spot for the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Secure your spot now, room is running out for this popular workshop!
Day ONE: 28th October (Friday), 2016
– Classroom lecture by GMB Akash
– Review participants’ portfolios by GMB Akash and provide individual feedback
– Workshop lecture on basics. How to use composition to make compelling photographs, how to use available light for portraits, etc
– Participants will be taken out in the field for a guided photo assignment
Day TWO: 29th October (Saturday) 2016
– Participants will be taken out of the field for a guided photo assignment– Review of day one
– Lecture class by GMB Akash
– Preparation for the day’s assignment
– Review of the assignment work and group photo critique
– Post processing with Adobe Lightroom
– Workshop wraps up
– Concluding remarks for students and for instructor
To watch reviews from students from the last street photography workshop
‘Focus On Culture’ – Travel and street photography workshop
23rd – 25th September, 2016
Organized and financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation – SDC
Coordinated by First Light Institute of Photography
Taught by eminent photojournalist GMB Akash
A three day photography workshop for young and aspiring photographers held in Dhaka at First Light Institute of Photography on 23- 25 September 2016. 12 winners of the “Focus on Culture” photo competition participated in this workshop conducted by Bangladeshi eminent photojournalist GMB Akash. The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation SDC and the Embassy of Switzerland in Bangladesh organized the workshop and the photo competition to promote young and aspiring Bangladeshi photographers.
While congratulating the workshop participants on their winning the photo competition, Mr. Siroco Messerli, the Deputy Director of the Embassy of Switzerland, who was present in the closing session of the workshop, said, “Culture and development are inter-connected. Culture is an important instrument to promote development and to fight various dimensions of poverty.” He also called on the young photographers to keep up their good work and use their skills for the development of the society.
The photo competition was launched in May 2016. Around 90 photographers participated in the competition. A six member jury panel comprising international and local photographers and experts determined the winners. Visit http://focusonculture.net/contests/winners to see the list of the winners and their photographs.
The Embassy of Switzerland will organize a public exhibition in Dhaka in October where the 12 winners will exhibit their photographs.
On 19th August – 22nd August, First Light Institute of Photography organized ‘Journey of the Light’- Four day in-depth Basic Photography Workshop with GMB Akash and his Team at its school campus in Dhaka.
Video: To see the Workshop review and to listen to student’s memories, please click and have a look:
The main intention of this intensive workshop was helping participants on practical application. In addition to the workshop instructors, mentor GMB Akash was beside each participant to elaborately instruct them in the field. GMB Akash’s teacher team thoroughly helped out students to learn photography independently. In two locations of outdoor practical shooting, GMB Akash and his team supervised each participant passionately and according to their needs.
During the 1st day of the workshop every participant received feedback regarding their portfolio. At the 1st day of workshop instructors build up a solid understanding of photography and its basics. Class lecture that specially designated to introduce photography interestingly helps students to prepare for their next three days out door shooting with their instructor. Moreover four days participants do not think about anything else than photography!
The day begins on 7 a.m. First Light got a devoted group of participants who were divided into two groups and started shooting from early morning. Instructor GMB Akash attended each group separately and the group successfully continued shooting until afternoon. During the break they work on their selected images and headed towards their class room. The recap of the review session took place at the First Light Campus and our enthusiastic participants group showed their charm by delivering wonderful images in such short time. Their self esteem and self motivation was wondering as the class ended up at 8 P.M but they were ready to hit the ground of day three same as the day two!
Day three started with better pictures and with some more energy! The day started same as day 2, but when participants were with their instructor they continued to capture their best images. GMB Akash praised them for their transportation. The day was a repeat of day two but ended up by producing better images, by gathering more experiences and by knowing own strengths and weaknesses!
The day started same as day 3, but everyone gives their best effort as this was the last day to show their improvement to their mentor. After finishing shooting eventually participants went to their campus and a detailed review had been done there. After pointing about future projects and evaluating the course, participants were overwhelmed while they were receiving the certificate. Indeed the workshop ended with ‘Load of memories’!
‘Journey of the Light’- Four day in-depth Basic Photography Workshop
with GMB Akash and his Team
Dates: 19th August (Friday), 20th August (Saturday),
21st August (Sunday), 22nd August (Monday)
Place: First Light Institute of Photography, Dhaka campus
Fees: 6000 BDT (This workshop is only for Bangladeshi students)
Total students: Maximum 25 participants
Teaching language: Bengali & English
Workshop hours: 10 AM to 6 PM
Please be ready to give more extra hours as required
To apply Email email@example.com
For any question, phone: 01989052484
About the workshop:
This 4-day in-depth Basic Photography Workshop is designed for beginners. This comprehensive workshop mainly focuses on practical functions. The workshop has 30% theoretical aspects and 70% practical. Mentor GMB Akash will intensely go through each participant’s work during class and will elaborately instruct each one in the field. GMB Akash’s teacher team will thoroughly help out students to learn photography exclusively.
After the workshop participants will have a boarder understanding of how to work to create amazing photography projects of their own. To complete this course first all participants must have genuine interest and passion for photography, the camera is next.
The main intention of this comprehensive workshop is helping participants on practical application. GMB Akash’s teacher team thoroughly will help out students to learn photography independently. In two locations of outdoor practical shooting, GMB Akash and his team will thoroughly help each participant passionately and according to their individual needs.
Before enrolling visit our last workshop student feedback and the student’s final submissions of their work : http://wp.me/p3F0uP-aQ
- GMB Akash
- SM Kakon
- Prashanta Hridoy
- Dishary Khan
- Mohammad Zubaer
Workshop course outline:
- Introduction + History of Photography
- Getting to Know your Camera
- Holding Your Camera, How to Focus your Subject
- Your Camera’s Automatic, Assisted Settings and Manual Settings
- Understanding File Format (Raw, Tiff, Jpg image files)
- Understanding Exposure (Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO)
- Composition and Content
- Moments and Motion
- Depth of field
- Through the Looking Glass
- People and Portraits
- The Simple Math of Photography
- Angle of Light
- Photography as a Way of Life
- Editing Images: Post Processing
- Growing As a Photographer And Much More
What you will achieve from this workshop
- Greater ability to work quickly and decisively with your camera
- Increased confidence in your skills as a photographer
- Effectiveness in establishing rapport with subjects
- Knowledge and hands-on experience to create powerful photographs
- Certificate after the completion of the workshop
What you will need:
- A Digital camera and just one or two lenses (for example – 24mm, 28mm 35mm, 50mm or zoom covering a part of this range).
- A Computer and photo-processing software
- Only a maximum 25 hardworking students will be selected for this workshop. Students will be granted admission to the workshop based on email confirmation. Therefore interested participants are requested to send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01989052484 to know more details
- The BDT 6000 fee does not include transport, accommodation, lunch or on-the-ground expenses.
- In order to confirm your application, 80% advance payment is a must.
- If accepted, the participant will receive a course contract confirming the success of his/her application by email.
- To confirm registration, the participant must make payment of 80% of the fee of the workshop within five days of selection
- The rest of the fee must be paid by the first day of the workshop at the latest. The participant will then receive a complete receipt and ID card.
- There will be no refund of your advance payment
- Registration is open from 29th July 2016 Until 15th August, 2016
- If a participant decides to cancel for whatever reason, the school must be notified at least seven days prior to the workshop. There will be no refund of your advance payment
- If you have any query at all please write to email@example.com or call at 01989052484
The Children woke up at 4 am; their parents said they did not sleep at all. Everyone was excited because their school is now in Dhaka and they were going to participate in the opening of their school. The bus brought them to the school in the early morning. They were wearing their best clothes and looked like angels. After all, it was a daylong celebration with siteseeing, watching movies, playing games and eating out!
In March, 2016 the First Light Institute of Photography moved from Narayangonj to Dhaka. Our ‘Angels of First Light’ inaugurated our school on 1st April followed by a daylong event. The joy and happiness they expressed in the event are indescribable. Our event started by sharing ‘Amar Shawpno (My dream)’, where children wrote down their dreams and shared with everyone. They spent a memorable day by participating in different performances and watched children films. For many of them it was first time they visited Dhaka and were amazed to see the city. After cutting the cake they had lunch in the restaurant but a few of them kept reading the books they got as a gift. First Light is proud of its junior students and believes that the institute will help them to achieve their childhood dreams that they shared on the opening day.
With the slogan ‘Keeping Your Light Alive’ First Light Institute of Photography started its journey in August, 2013. During the inception of our school, we made a wish! We aim to educate unprivileged children. Children who are living in the streets, children who are working as child labourers, children who are dropping out from schools and children who have no access to 21st-century education. Under the canopy of First Light, little angels join us and keep our world shining. So far First Light has donated its entire earning for unprivileged children of the society.
On 2nd April Senior Students of First Light continued the opening ceremony. First Light already has hundreds of students throughout the country. After completing workshops/degree students of First Light establish a portfolio of impressive images and acquire technical proficiency, refined artistic sensibility, and a practical understanding of the business of photography. First Light is proud to have students from all sectors of different industries while many of the students are also international award winning photographers. The most inspiring part of the inauguration was on 2nd April, when seven members of First Light were awarded for their dedication in humanitarian work as volunteers for the institute. Their contribution in the social work of the school and their involvement in educating children goes beyond any existing words of gratitude.
First Light is aspiring to have your blessings so that we can continue our journey on the path of humanity.